Enjoy the holiday season, but consider your risks
From Jill E. Carlson, Maneuver Center of Excellence Safety Director /
Happy Holidays! This joyous time of year we unite with friends and family.
Remember our many deployed service members serving far from home and, just as important, the loved ones who are missing them. The New Year will bring many challenges to the MCoE and our team needs this time to relax and enjoy family and friends.
No matter what you have planned this holiday, act responsibly and safely – enjoy your time off and return safely.
Each holiday season, we lose a Soldier to unsafe decisions. Privately owned vehicles, firearms and suicides are the leading indicators in our holiday fatalities. Each Soldier, family member and civilian is critical to our Army’s combat effectiveness.
All Commanders and leaders emphasize the importance of safety and risk reduction. Keep these holiday tips in mind:
- If you are traveling by air, allow for more time and expect increased security at airports.
- If you are traveling by car, plan your trip ahead of time and use good judgment in adverse weather conditions.
- Soldiers traveling further than 100 miles will complete the Travel Risk Planning System (TRiPS) at this website: https://army.mil. Leaders will review the plan, counsel as necessary, and document the assessment.
- Arrive alive. Never drink and drive. Plan ahead for a designated driver, if drinking is involved. There is no excuse for drinking and driving.
- Use the “Battle Buddy” system.
I hope that all of you have a joyous and safe holiday season and a prosperous New Year. I ask each of you to consider the risk and make the right decision.
One Force, One Fight!